Sunday, October 21, 2018

Only at Sand Creek . . . on a Saturday!

It was a bit nippy yesterday morning when we started on the zip line.  We were surprised when our first group from Lino Lakes were happy to find out they would not be zipping in snow as they had already gotten a couple of inches up north!

Yesterday was an amazing day - just filled with fun!  Here are a few examples:

The Liberian Connection:
Having lived in Liberia the summer of 2007 with Mercy Ships, I was excited to have a family from Liberia come to celebrate Jamesetta's birthday at Sand Creek.  We had the most delightful conversation - from the airport being upgraded to Liberia now having electricity to the downed bridge in Monrovia.  They understood why I thought it was "normal" when the I35 bridge went down - because we had all lived with something just like it in Liberia, only Minneapolis did not have bullet holes in their bridge!  Meet my "family":


SHEER Terror:
One of my friends from Liberia lost it on platform one.  She was so terrified of stepping off the platform that she put a death grip on back of the platform while crying hysterically.  I was more than a bit worried - I was almost "call 911" worried.  But friends, I got her off - and in the end, she did say it was fun!
 
Dancing on Platform One:
I cannot tell you why we did it, but one of guests and I started to swing dance on platform one yesterday while we waited for him to zip!  What a hoot!  The whole crowd watching us had a smile . . . 

The Slowpitch Softball Team:
The team came and did the high ropes yesterday.  It wasn't too hard to figure out their names - Chris, Chris, Lynne, Christalyn . . . Seriously!

Rob Nelson Day:
I told Sam (the hub) yesterday was Rob Nelson Day at Sand Creek.  I had two of Rob's former students and one of his new co-workers, not all at the same time, but all on the same day! 
  
Secrets:
We had a group of six cousins six zipping because their aunt decided they needed memories more than presents at Christmas.  We were on our second time through the zips, over on platform two, when one of them asked me where the other two who had been in our group had gone.  Since those two were only doing a three zip, they were done.  Then a cousin asked me if those two were dating.  I told them what I knew - he had come up from the south to see her, he wasn't really her type, so as far as she was concerned, she wasn't going to date him.  The cousins loved it - and promised to never tell because I had promised the same thing!  

STUCK:
Sam (not the hub) and I were touring the cousins.  Sam zipped down to four for their final ascent and got stuck.  He was wearing so many clothes he couldn't get his leg over the line to let himself down.  I told the cousins, "I can go rescue him, but you'll all have to get off the platform. One of you can go rescue him, and we'll wait here for you."  Cousin Andrew gets the bonus points!  He ran down the hill, over the bridge and across the trail, and pulled the ladder over to Sam who successfully dismounted and we finished the tour.  Bless you, Andrew! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment