Monday, October 8, 2018

Finishing the Whole30 . . .

Back in June, one of my co-workers, upon hearing about my polymyalgia rheumatica, told me about the Whole30 eating program.  She encouraged me to try it.  It was only thirty days.  It was doable.

Fast forward to August, my sister-in-law sent me her daughter's copy of "The Whole30" saying they had had encouraging results from following the eating program and I should give it a shot.

Not one to rush into anything, on September 6, Sam, Micah and I started the Whole30.  We actually finished it on October 5 and are now in the process of re-introducing foods over the next ten days.  

It wasn't a hard to follow program.  We ate veggies and fruits and meats and eggs - lotsa eggs.  It gave us the options of what foods were "best", "better", and "good".  There were days our budget only allowed for good; other days we went best.

The hardest part of the whole program?  Grocery shopping!  And grocery shopping!  And grocery shopping!  Sam said it was very European.  I said he wasn't the one shopping!

Did it work?  Well, what I thought was PMR flared up during that time instead of getting better/going away.  Neither of us are sleeping well at night as it was suggested we would.  I'm either dealing with constipation or diarrhea - hasn't made any improvements on that end!  And I still have my lovely under-eye circles.  

However, Sam has lost twenty pounds.  Micah and I both lost eight.  I could be at this weight simply be eating right.  I know.  I've done it before.  Will I make healthier eating choices in the future?  I hope so.  I like being thinner.  

Will I continue to follow the Whole30?  It hasn't been a miracle cure for me.  We'll see what happens when I add rice (tomorrow), dairy (Friday), and breads (next Monday) back in.  Legumes went fine on Saturday.

Best story from our time on the Whole30:

Last Saturday, I had to go put on my old size 6 skinny jeans in order to go to work.  The other ones were going to fall off on the zip line.  Matt was most appalled.  

 "Mom, those aren't skinny jeans!  I can't believe you don't know what skinny jeans are!"  

"Well, hon, we're looking at the waist here, not legs - and that's why these are my skinny jeans!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment