Friday, June 15, 2018

When Giving Blood . . .

Micah and I went up to Berean on Tuesday to give blood after multiple e-mails stating, "There is an overwhelming need for your blood type . . ."  Neither of us thought we'd pass the "iron" test, but mine was a whopping 13.1 while Micah didn't quite make it.

It has to be God-ordained - the matching of you and your phlebotomist - because mine needed me that day.  I found out she was a newly wed originally from Louisiana.  Her husband was from Somalia.  We talked about the challenges of marriage, and I said Sam and I only had to deal with "eastern Iowa" vs. "western Iowa".  They had two very different continents and two very different counties.  I have lived in Africa.  She has not even visited.  I understood just a bit the challenges she faced.

Our conversation ventured on the children.  She shared with me that she had just miscarried in April.  I empathized so with her.  I told her we had had a birth mother who had changed her mind and kept the baby between Matt and Micah.  It took me six years before I was able to drive through White Bear Lake without crying.  She began to cry and shared, "My husband says I just need to get over it."  Oh, wrong answer!    

"I can be love where I live, 
and that is Christ, 
and He really does make all the difference." 
Ann Kiemel

No comments:

Post a Comment