Wednesday, January 9, 2019

First Day Back!

Not only was yesterday my first day back at the Y in 2019, but it was my first day back (that wasn't an inservice!) since my knee surgery!  It had been fifty-three days and it almost felt like a disaster waiting to happen . . . 

I wanted to swim first but I knew people would want to talk with me, so I left home early, just not early enough!  I was stopped by complete strangers who were so glad I was back as well as friends who were equally happy to see me.  Everyone wanted to know how I was doing and to see the scar!  Unfortunately, I worked a split shift, so I was having "the knee" conversation both day and night!  Fortunately, I did get in twenty laps (where as fifty-three days ago I would swim seventy-some laps at a time!).  Sadness . . .Must get into shape!

As I looked over my first class of the day, I realized my certification instructor for my YSL (Y Swimming Leader) class back in November was in my parent/child class with her daughter.  Lovely!  Now I had to be spot on . . . And then I had her other daughter in my second class!  More lovely . . . NOT!   (Truly, both classes went fine.  Fortunately, Courtney is pretty easy going.)

Next up, Sterling Academy.  Unfortunately, I have the boys together (three are good and one is bad) and the girls together (one is good, two are bad, and one was sick).  If only I could group by ability to swim but they are not allowed to mix gender . . . Fortunately, we discovered that someone (not me!) had screwed up the schedule before they left the Y yesterday.  They were planning on lessons for four weeks on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I was planning on their lessons for four weeks on Tuesday and Thursday.  Now they're coming on Tuesday for seven weeks.  Oh, well . . .

Just enough time to run home for lunch and then return for the afternoon/evening session . . . 

It really would have been fine save for two things - 
  1. I forgot a mom.  I said I would talk to her after I called out the 5:55 p.m. group and I totally forgot her.  I mean, I FORGOT her.  She came back up to me at 6:35 p.m. and I felt like dirt!  TOTAL dirt!  Oh, well . . . apologies were accepted.
  2. We have four class periods.  For only one period did everyone scheduled show up.  For two periods, only half the students showed up.  That meant I was in the office calling parents for a good half an hour after I should have been done!
In between moving students to the class that was best for them and training in two new staff and greeting parents, I lost my voice!  So it's been a quiet Wednesday at our house . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment