Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thankful Thursday!

Today, I am thankful that we are healthy and well.

I called my dad on Monday.  He told me that he had just found out my cousin Jay had colon cancer.  His parents were on their way up to see him in St. Peter, but dad didn't know anything more than that. 

You have to understand Jay became my favorite cousin after high school.  He was four years younger than me.  We both went to Mankato State, but not at the same time.  We both worked in the Cities after graduation and he was a frequent visitor in our town home.  We both married.  We both adopted two children.  I didn't see him a lot.  I could list the number of times in the past twelve years - mom's funeral, Aunt Janice's funeral, his niece's graduation.  But the memories and the laughter we shared all the times we were together were good, very good.   

Jay died yesterday.  Dad told me when he called to wish Micah a "Happy Birthday."  It was a "brief battle with cancer" - very brief.  We'll be going to visitation Sunday afternoon because on Monday I have an appointment with the knee surgeon that I've been waiting for for three weeks . . . 

I am thankful that we are healthy and well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment