Friday, November 2, 2018

Rheumatology Report

There's an old Larry Norman song that contains the line, "Don't ask me for the answer, I've only got one: That a man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son."*  And that, my friends, is the only answer I still have . . . Jesus.

The myriad of blood tests I had in October all came out fine, even normal.  Based on that, we returned to the original diagnosis of polymyalgial rheumatica.  That is what I will be treated for even though I am well under the usual occurring age of seventy, HOWEVER . . .

Prednisone is not a drug you want to be on for the long term.  So I will now be getting monthly blood tests while trying to drop my dose of Prednisone by one milligram a month.  If by my January rheumatology appointment, I am unable to decrease my dose of Prednisone (because my PRM decides to rear it's ugly head!), I will be put on a different medication that takes three months to be effective but with less side effects.  

Meanwhile, he did clear me for knee surgery even though he's contacting Twin Cities Ortho so he can look at my MRI.  After all, it is osteoarthritis and he is a rheumatologist.  He also wants to know if they tested (who knows for what!?!) the liquid they took out of my knee.  

That said, I press on praising God, that while this is a small beep in the radar of my life,  I'm not battling something more serious like cancer or kidney disease or a heart attack.  Thanks for praying on my behalf . . .   

*"Why Don't You Look Into Jesus?"

No comments:

Post a Comment