Thursday, July 19, 2018

Only at Sand Creek . . .

It was just one of those days yesterday . . .

I was positive I started work at 12:30 p.m.  I didn't even bother to check the calendar because I KNEW I started work at 12:30 p.m.  I didn't.  I started work at 1:30 p.m.  Fortunately, Anna put me to work - it wasn't mulching!  I got to pull weeds - lots of them!

Our first group of zippers arrived an hour early - from North Dakota.  The next two in their time slot had North Dakota ties.  They were having a great time chatting about their roots which was excellent because the last ones in our 2:00 zip slot were late!  And scared!  All six brave souls with North Dakota bonds zipped down fabulously, not so with our last four.  I even had Grandma Wanda crying tears - but I got them to down!

Then I found out Wanda and her group of four were doing the high ropes, along with another family.  Let's just say that when the staff thought of Wanda and fam up in the high ropes, we had one thought:  "Rescue ready." 

We had decided to send the other family first - because they looked like they could make it through the high ropes course, but Grandma Wanda was having none of that.  "I've waited long enough.  We're going to go first."  

And they did.  And they made it.  At least three out of the four in their group since one decided to not even try at the very beginning.  So on to the family . . .

The Michigan side of the family experienced great success up in the high ropes, the Minnesota side - not so much.  Then we were off to the zip line where we had another couple join us.  Once again, the Michigan side was doing great.  The couple, too.  Not so for the youngest member of the Minnesota side.  He went off platform one by himself, but he wouldn't go off of two so . . .  

We buddy zipped!  I put him in front of me, held his tether with one hand and mine with the other, (literally pushed him off the platform), and down we flew!  He was crying, "I can't hold on!  I can't hold on!" so I let go of my tether (not allowed!), held on to him and arrived safely at platform three.  (I think I was definitely  having more fun than he was!)  His mom buddy zipped with him down to platform four and I'm glad to say he was no happier going with her than he was going with me!

But now we had a problem.  This was a six zip group.  We had to go one more time down the course - and the couple had to be to the airport by 9 p.m.  It was six o'clock. 

Tim and I meshed - the guests flew - the crier played on his mom's phone and stayed up on top.  We don't know if the couple made it to the airport on time, but they left Sand Creek at 6:30 p.m. and we were done by seven.

It was an interesting day, but it all ended well!  To God be the glory!  

          

No comments:

Post a Comment