Thursday, May 20, 2021

Thankful Thursday!

Today I've been having what we called a "private pity party" in college, feeling a bit sorry for myself.  I'm also angry and I'm working toward determination.  I had a DEXA scan last week.  (DEXA stands for “dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry."   It is a type of medical imaging test. It uses very low levels of x-rays to measure how dense your bones are.). I had because, as you know, I have PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica) and have been on prednisone off, but mostly on, since 2018, or was it 2017?  Anyway, the results showed that the bone loss in my lower spine has doubled as a result of being on prednisone.  Doubled!!!  Private.Pity.Party.  

Fortunately, reality is it doubled from 0.9% bone loss to 1.8% bone loss in less than two years.  I'm not considered at risk for anything bad happening until I'm at a 20% bone loss and we're not going to let that happen.  Nope, I'm . . .

  • Currently weaning off of Prednisone (currently at 4 mg, hoping to be totally off of it by July 1, 
  • Adding more calcium to my diet,
  • Doing more weight bearing exercises.
Which leaves me thankful for my doctor and a new rheumatologist who are going to take good care of me!  Doubly thankful that this is a little blip on the big radar of life, no where near the challenges others are facing.  Thankful that I can pray for those whose challenges are so much more than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment