Saturday, May 1, 2021

A most memorable CPR class . . .

This morning's CPR class at the Y was one for the memory books!

Memory One:  For the first ever, I had a class of random employees who were all fitness instructors!  They couldn't have been more fun - all nine of them!

Memory Two:  Gayle was in my class this morning.  We go back over forty years when she was my first aquatics director at the Brooklyn Center Community Center and we were fresh out of college.  We worked together there and for ISD 196, had our boys in swimming lessons together, and now both work at the Y part-time.  

She came in wearing a baseball cap which is something I've never seen her in before.  She confirmed aggressive breast cancer that began last August, fourteen rounds of chemotherapy and now she's starting radiation.  She was lucky.  They caught it early.  Her prognosis is very good.  While it was wonderful to catch up, it was so sad to hear her how lonely her journey has been because of Covid.  Even worse was her farewell. 

"I hope my hair is as long as yours by the end of the summer."     

No comments:

Post a Comment