Sunday, May 16, 2021

Mariama

 

Ever since the day she was born, 17-year-old Mariama has had a cyst over her right eye. Although relatively small in size, the growth has had a significant impact on her self-esteem as she often endured hurtful remarks from others. While she was able to hide from the world, she could not truly escape her reality.  
Mariama after surgery

“It makes me sad whenever I look at myself in the mirror,” she said. 

Mariama was not the only one suffering from the growth. Her father, Thekheye, was pained to see his daughter struggle from her condition.  

“As I stood in the hospital and saw that Mariama had been born with a growth over her eye, sadness and confusion overtook my life,” he said. 

Wanting to do everything possible to help his daughter, Thekheye tried to find a way for her to be healed. However, without a job, there was little he was able to do. Thankfully, after nearly two decades, Mariama finally had a chance for healing after Thekheye heard about Mercy Ships. 

“I am so thankful for Mercy Ships,” he said. “Knowing that the ship could heal my daughter gave me hope.” 

Following her surgery, she was able to look in the mirror with renewed confidence and was overwhelmed with joy.

Today, she reveals the confident smile of a 17-year-old girl who dreams of attending university. The surgery she received on the Africa Mercy has allowed her to see the world in a new way — a way full of hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment