Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Mr. Incompetent

I had a lab scheduled this morning at 7:15 a.m.  My SOP (standard operating procedure) for my labs over the past several years has been to arrive roughly ten minutes early and walk out with all the blood they needed drawn before my actual appointment time even began.  Not so this morning.

I arrived ten minutes early and was put immediately into the lab waiting area where I waited another ten minutes.  At 7:15, I was put into a blood draw space where I waited another ten minutes.  At 7:25, the phlebotomist came to draw my blood.  Knowing I was giving blood for TWO different doctors, I tried to confirm that he had what he needed to draw ALL of my blood.  He didn't.  He only had orders from one doctor.  I told him I was giving blood for two doctors.  Ten minutes later he came back with the orders that I need in JUNE.  I knew he was wrong.  I knew I was going to be late for work, but I tried.  "Those orders are for JUNE.  What I need drawn is the lab you were unable to do last week, plus the ones for Dr. Elert."

I took a deep breath.  I was the first patient of the day.  I did not need to ruin his day even though I was on my way to being late for work.  No shower or breakfast yet.  My "done-by-7:15 a.m." appointment was now past 7:35 a.m.  I smiled, I said, "Take all the blood you need.  I'm fine.  Just make sure it's for BOTH doctors."       

I got my lab results back when I got home from work.  Half of them were labeled "Updated results from 4/27".  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment