Monday, July 15, 2019

Only at Sand Creek . . .

Yesterday was my last day at Sand Creek before knee replacement surgery tomorrow and what a day it was!

My first group was celebrating their daughter's birthday on the high ropes.  We had Dad, Mom, older sister, birthday girl and two of her friends.  Ethan and I just knew, because it was so beastly hot and humid, we had to be rescue ready!  Sure enough, I had picked someone else out, but it was birthday girl who went down with heat exhaustion!  Ethan rushed to her side, as much as you can rush on a ropes course.  I belayed her down.  She was fine after a bit, but then Dad wasn't looking so good.  Sadly, they were all going to six-zip afterward, but they chose to go home.   

Our last group of the day was a group of conservative Muslim women.  We put Hillsong on the speakers and welcomed them to the course.  Let me just say, you can NOT tell what size of a harness to use when someone has a burka on.   Even better was stuffing a burka into a harness and getting the harness properly tightened!  Add to that - helmets and hijabs really don't mix!  Since none of our male staff were allowed to touch the women, Anna and I got to do all the work!  And since I was on platform one, I was tightening and stuffing and making things fit!

But you know what, they had so much fun on the zip line!  And you haven't seen it until you have seen someone zip with a flowing burka and hijab!  Our hope is that we were light in the darkness . . .    

No comments:

Post a Comment