Thursday, July 18, 2019

Bionic!

Yup, that's me!  I had a total-knee replacement done on my left knee Tuesday morning, making both of my knees now cobalt chrome.  According to the surgeons, everything went well.  I was an easy in, an easy out.  I felt great, too.  I had made it totally clear that I was a puker and I wanted no pain meds and anesthesia light.  I was awake and eating in recovery.  I was awake and eating in my room.

Then 6:00 p.m. came along with the vomiting.  Then there was the 8:30 p.m. vomiting.  When the 6:00 a.m. vomiting started to rear it's ugly head, I was given a Zofran which actually worked!  I was able to keep down a bowl of cream of wheat and a grilled cheese sandwich and I was on my way home by 3:00 p.m.

My goal was to be Jesus with skin on.  Let me share what happened:
  • My first nurse plans to take her two sons to Sand Creek to zip line;
  • My in-take nurse graduated from Mankato State the same year I did;
  • My third nurse positively remembered me from November;
  • My first support staff was from Liberia and we had great coversations;
  • My first PT called me a rock star;
  • My fourth nurse was a Bethel graduate who grew up in Kenya and is going to encourage her college freshman daughter to look into Cru at the U;
  • My second support staff has an autistic son.  She will be looking into the Alexander Center for assistance in how to best help him;
  • My fifth nurse also had an autistic child, a daughter, who he wants to bring to Sand Creek to zip.  He's also a climber - frozen waterfalls is his specialty;
  • My second PT was a friend from November and dismissed me immediately after I climbed the stairs;
  • MY OT wasn't even going to come in, but I asked her to help me dress (it was her or my male nurse) so she reviewed protocol with me. 
Can you say, that in a very odd way, it was quite fun?!?

Coming up next?  PT tomorrow . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment