Saturday, September 22, 2018

Only at Sand Creek . . .

It was another amazing day at Sand Creek!  Let me hit the bullet points for you:
  • Every year Bethesda Church in Prior Lake has a mission's conference.  The owner of the land that Sand Creek sits on is a member of Bethesda so every fall we get to meet missionaries from around the world.  This year we had a couple who are missionaries in Puerto Rico and a woman who is a missionary in Cambodia.  They were quite fun - and talkative!
  • Unfortunately, I didn't make it into platform two the first time I zipped today.  Tim was determined to come out and rescue me and I was equally determined to get in to the platform BEFORE he could rescue me.  All that swimming must be paying off because I won!
  • Sadly, I didn't quite make it into platform three either.  I told Tim it must be the weight I've been losing!  And yes, I let Tim help me this time.
  • We only had one " pseudo rescue" on the high ropes today.  The youngest of the three brothers, a third grader, went first.  His brothers all said he would be fine.  He got through the hardest part of the course and had a breakdown.  A very loud screaming and crying breakdown.  Mark climbed up and took care of him.  All ended well.
  • We had a GD from St. Paul on the high ropes today.  That would be "Gangster Disciple".  I learned a lot about gangs and the GD's, explaining to him that I come from "Lilywhite Lakeville" and really knew very little.  I challenged him on one of the six key points of the GD's - love.  I told him I could not understand how "love" was one of their premises when they killed other gang members.  That wasn't love the way I understood it.  Sadly, it was love only for other GD's.  If you read this, pray that he would question his understanding of love, especially as he's hoping to get married in a Catholic Church sometime soon.  
  • We had a group from Evergreen Church in Bloomington join our last zip.  Their pastor is married to our New Life social worker, Brita.  She'll be getting a hug and a greeting from me via them tomorrow!
  • Mary drove in from Marshall by HERSELF to go zip lining for the first time in her life.  She liked it so much that she asked if she could go again when she got up the hill.  Of course she could, because we all were enjoying her enthusiasm!  Great way to end a great (albeit educational) day . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment