Thursday, May 24, 2018

Jacqueline



If I had a bucket list, on the very top would be to attend one of Mercy's Ships Dress Ceremonies.  Jacqueline's story is reblogged from "Ainsworths in Africa".  It's a glory story!

“When I get home, I think my man is going to ask me to marry him…and I’m going to say yes!”


Many patients leave the Africa Mercy with a happy ending, and 33-year-old Jacqueline was no different.

Unlike many Obstetric Fistula patients who come to Mercy Ships for surgery, Jacqueline’s daughter survived the prolonged, complicated birth that caused her permanent incontinence eight years ago. But sadly, Jacqueline was abandoned by her husband and shunned by her community—common realities for many women who live with Obstetric Fistulas.


Before she even came to the ship, however, Jacqueline found a new reason to smile: Jean, a man who lovingly stayed by her side, despite her condition. Their romance was often questioned by people who tried to discourage him from staying with her, but their love was powerful.

“There are two types of people in this world: those who have treated me cruelly and have left me, and those who have stayed and supported me. (Jean) has stood by me when no one else did, and I am so grateful to him,” said Jacqueline.

Jacqueline was passed around to different hospitals and doctors with no results, and she had given up hope of ever receiving treatment so she could start her life over with Jean. But a simple procedure from professional volunteer surgeons on the Africa Mercy means she now has a new chance at life!

CMA170908_DECK_7_OBF_GROUP_ST002_LO.jpg

“When I get home, I want to move out of my village with Jean and start a new life—a better life! I’m tired of living how I’ve been living, but now I am stronger and will have more opportunities,” said Jacqueline.

“I am so happy and proud- there are no words”… not something every story teller wants to hear. But definitely something they want to see- someone barely able to speak because they are so thrilled to begin the next chapter of their lives,  their ‘happily ever after’.
 
CMA170918_JACQUELINE_PAT13437_DRESS_CEREMONY_SL005_LO.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment