Monday, June 5, 2017

Three Things I Learned About Ramadan

I had the privilege of teaching "Women Only Swim Lessons" at Falcon Ridge on Sunday afternoon.  One of our women didn't want to put her face in the water.  When I asked her why, she said she was fasting for Ramadan - and that meant no water.  She didn't want to accidently drink any.

THING ONE:  When she fasted during Ramadan, that meant no food or liquid from sunrise to sunset.

We kept chatting.  She was very open to my asking questions - so I did:

THING TWO:  At her house, they ate one big meat at 9:00 p.m. and that was it for the day.  I'm not so sure I wouldn't have tried to squeeze in one more meal before sunrise!

THING THREE:  The imam can change the times of the fast.  For instance, somewhere in Germany right now, when there is far more daylight than night, they were approved for just a twelve hour fast.   

I'm sure I could have googled this information, but it was far more fun learning it in person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment