Thursday, June 8, 2017

Awkward

As many of you know, Micah and I will be going to Ukraine next month with a group from Berean.  Last night we had a team meeting and our missions pastor asked me to bring along a team building activity so I brought "Mystery Squares."  I thought Tim was going to lead.  He let me lead.  

Think of a checkerboard.  As the leader, I had a map through the "checkerboard" mat that the team had to figure and get everyone through.

Tim got an absolute "I-have-to-take-this" phone call as we began so that left Micah and three other team members to figure out the maze.  They went after it whole hog - those three other team members, totally ignoring Micah.  When Tim got off the phone, he saw what was happening immediately and he got Micah to join in.  Note:  she is the only "child" in our group.

As the team leader, I got to lead the discussion after.  Awkward.  Because I got to point out what was so obvious to me - they had ignored my daughter and broken my mother's heart.  They were so bent on figuring out the solution that they didn't work as a team.  You could have heard a pin drop.  

As I talked to Tim afterwards, when every one else had left, he said I was gracious and correct in what I said.  And he said it probably made a bigger impact coming from me than it would have coming from him.  Which made me feel better, but it was still  . . . awkward.  

No comments:

Post a Comment