Thursday, June 1, 2017

Thankful Thursday!

How is it that one person can have so much to be thankful for while teaching three classes at the Y?  

My first two classes today were from Sterling Academy.  They had asked me last week if they could get prizes for their last week of lessons.  My first class was seven fourth-sixth grade girls and my second class was four fourth-sixth grade boys.  I decided since their school did not allow the students to swim together, I could have timed relay races and let their teacher know who the winner was - boys or girls!

Joining me in laughter was the MS (Multiple Sclerosis) class on the other side of the pool.  I had the kids race using a large turtle floatie and it was a hoot!  Technically, the boys won the relay by five seconds; but the girls were definitely better treaders as we treaded water.  We also had to go off the rope swing.  Lucky me - I got to go once with the girls and once with the boys.  They did offer me more swings, but I politely declined.

In the end they got their prizes - Y tattoos!  They loved them - the same tattoos we've been trying to get rid of forever!  And then we added a Papa Murphy's coupon for $2.00 off a pizza and a free cookie pizza because, trust me, a Y tattoo is NOT a prize!

My last class was four preschool boys.  The absolutely most challenging boy of all brought me the most lovely gift today because I am his very favorite teacher.  Understand that this can only be Jesus in me because I can not tell you how many times I was ready to do something awful to this child, as he bit other students, spit water at them or splashed them.  I was given a box with two different hand soaps in it that said, "Hands down, best coach in town".  I am thankful that the Jesus in me loves the unlovely and I can make a difference in that life . . .   

No comments:

Post a Comment