Tuesday, August 18, 2020

ISD 196

The first thing I saw when I got up yesterday morning was a text from my boss at ISD 196.  She had been at the hospital until 4 a.m. with her husband who is now on a ventilator.  He does not have COVID, but he has Parkinson's and pneumonia.  She would not be at work until Tuesday.

Teija and I would be the only two working.  She was teaching lifeguarding in the morning and helping me that afternoon only.  She had a class of eight and I had a class of nine.  

I tried to set up my computer, but the password didn't work.  Teija couldn't get it to work either.  We called Pat.  She had changed the password and forgotten to tell us.

I started teaching my class and about twenty minutes in to it, I realized I was teaching from the OLD Water Safety Aide Book, the one we hadn't used for a couple of years.  I looked all over.  Teija looked all over.  We couldn't find the right book.  We called Pat again, the woman who had been up until 4 a.m.  This was not going well.  I was winging it with zeal.  Teija had never taught this class, so she let me lead.  

We gave it our best shot and were quite happy this morning when Pat showed up with the right book for me!

All that to say, while teaching was stressful, the class was great!  By that I mean well-behaved, listening, respectful.  The downside?  They're quiet!  My goal over the next two days will be to help them find their pool voices.   

No comments:

Post a Comment