Thursday, December 20, 2018

Thankful Thursday!



A few weeks ago, Heidi was over for supper.  We started talking about the old hymns we used to sing.  As par for my course, I started dissing them, saying I was glad we only sang hymns once or twice a year in church.  

But in reality, as I've been thinking about it, it is those very hymns that my very theology is based on.  Hymns and Mom.  Mom singing hymns while she baked.  Mom singing hymns while she folded laundry.  Mom singing hymns in the car.  Mom singing hymns with Tennessee Ernie Ford.   Mom singing hymns.

My truth is this:
  • "A mighty fortress is my God, a bulwark never failing";
  • "O God, my help in ages past, my hope for years to come";
  • "Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father";
  • "Standing, standing, standing on the promises of God my Savior"; 
  • "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face";
  • "I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory"; 
  • "I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today";  
  • "Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey"; 
  • "Jesus, Saviour, pilot me, over life's tempestuous sea";
  • "Stand up, stand for Jesus, ye soldier of the cross, lift high His royal banner";
  • "Count your blessings, name them one by one; count your blessings see what God hath done";
 and my ultimate favorite, 

"What a friend we have in Jesus, 
all our sins and griefs to bear!  
What a privilege to carry everything to God in Prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, 
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!"

So today, I am thankful for Mom and for her singing these old hymns that helped me become who I am today!  

Now, just for your listening pleasure . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment