Thursday, September 7, 2017

It's all in the pronunciation . . .

"You say 'to-may-to' and I say 'to-ma-to".  
You say 'po-tay-to' and I say 'po-ta-to"

It's all in how to say it, right?  Well, this week I "learned" two new words:

    1. Kiev is said 'key-ev' is said with two syllables if you're from Russia and 'keeve' with a long 'e' sound and just one syllable if you're from Ukraine.  My friend Diane set us straight on this after a little family feud on Sunday - boys vs. girls!  And y'all know who was saying it the Ukrainian way!
    2. Sick is pronounced 'sick' if you're from the States, but in Germany it's with a 'z' sound - 'zick".  How do I know that?  We had a group from Sick out at Sand Creek yesterday!  Every time you check out at the grocery store and bring your item over the sensor, Sick, Inc. probably had something to do with that sensor!  

No comments:

Post a Comment