Sunday, June 3, 2012

While (Most of) You Were Sleeping . . .

The alarm when off at 5:45 a.m. this morning.  I peeked out the curtain - no rain - Tiffany and I were running to Ghana!  We met at the gangway at 5:55 a.m. (no need to brush our teeth or hair!) and walked through port.  Interestingly, we are not allowed to run in port here, so we had to walk from the ship to the gates.  Then we started to run - my first run in Togo and I was going to Ghana - a little over 9 km or 6 miles away!  It was incredible!  I'm not sure I can do it justice, but I'll try!  On our left was the ocean, full of ships.  Togo supposedly has one of the safest ports around so ships going to Benin or Ghana often "spend the night" here.  There were waves crashing on the beach and there were people - everywhere!  Running, selling, eating, talking, and playing football (or soccer as we would say here).  The soccer teams would come running down the road to the beat of the drum.  Each team had their own drum(s) and chants.  And of course, they were going the opposite direction of us.  Some would do dances, some would greet us.  It was great.  I had to stop twice to walk, at 5 km and 7 km, but we did it!  I touched Ghana this morning with my hand!  I told Tiff I felt like I had swam in the ocean, I was covered with so much salty sweat!  It was hot, we were hot.  We walked part way back to cool down and then caught a taxi back to port.  Wish I had pictures, but it's not safe to carry a camera down by the beach.  Who knows - there may still be time to do it again before we leave!  

Today, Matt and I are going to the Mercy Shippers/Day Workers soccer match at the sports stadium.  We'll make it back in time for dinner, then go to church on the ship this evening.  We start with the kids tomorrow.  Have a great day!    

No comments:

Post a Comment