Monday, March 22, 2021

SPLASHMAN!!!

Today, the Y was able to double the number of swimmers in the lap pool, bringing the number of slots available up to eight.  When I got there this morning, we had three lanes with one swimmer each and a fourth lane with two water joggers.  I knew whoever number four was, that swimmer was going to swim with me.  Just a real feeling of doom, you know?  That, and I am the best swimmer AT.THAT.TIME.  Pretty sure I'm only going to hit you if you're the one swimming crooked.

Sure enough.  Big burly guy arrives.  Looks the scene over.  Chooses to swim with me.  Big burly guy can NOT swim well.  I could have given him a lot of pointers (i.e. "Don't slap the water", "Try to keep your feet under water when you kick", etc.), but at that point, I was just trying not to drown every time he passed me.  

Margaret dubbed him "Splashman" because that was truly all he did well, said he was making her nauseous, and I should take over her lane because she was leaving.

Can't wait until Wednesday!  Think I'll swim by the windows if that lane is open.  It's a little bit more challenging to swim with two in it if one is a big burly guy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment