Wednesday, May 13, 2020

With Great Sadness . . .

Tonight, it is with great sadness that I tell you my polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) has returned.  However, the road to diagnosis was nothing short of a glory story . . .

My yearly check-up was scheduled for mid April.  One of the blood tests my internist was going to run was my SED rate (erythrocyte sedimentation rate for those who really want to be in the know).  In my case, a SED rate above 30 was an indicator of PMR.  Due to COVID-19, that appointment was pushed back to July.

Towards the end of April, my neck and shoulders just weren't feeling right and a chiropractic adjustment brought no relief.  Knowing that pain in that area was a sign of PMR, I sent an email to my doctor asking for a SED rate test.  He wanted a phone consult first, so I have one scheduled for next Wednesday.

Friends, I could barely crawl out of bed this morning.  In less than forty-eight hours, my pain had gone tolerable to unbearable.  And here's where God came in . . .

Around 8:30 a.m. this morning, I called the clinic and got a virtual visit with a doctor I had had before and actually liked scheduled for 11:40 a.m.

He called at 11:00 a.m. to say they were having difficulties with the virtual visits and wanted to know if we could make it work.  We did and he said, "No need to wait for 11:40 a.m., let's meet now."

His father-in-law has PMR so as I described my symptoms he said, "You need a SED rate test and a CRP (C-reactive protein)."   Then he went on to describe our plan of action should I pass either of those tests.  I was done with my 11:40 a.m. appointment at 11:33 a.m.  Imagine - done with a doctor's visit before it was even supposed to start!  How often does that happen?

I called the lab.  I got a 2:30 p.m. appointment.  I was a bit worried when she only took blood for one of the tests and then had to poke me again and draw blood a second time, but it ended well.

My SED rate test was in by 4:30 p.m.  I scored a 35 and will resume taking prednisone tomorrow morning.  I'm not sure what it all means NOW because as I spoke with the pharmacist tonight, she reminded me that it would lower my immunity.  

All of my jobs (that I am currently on furlough from) require me to work with people.  So tomorrow will I contact the doctor and see what he would like me to do.  Until then . . . I am grateful God worked out every detail today and by this weekend, I should feel relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment