Saturday, May 4, 2019

Only at Sand Creek

I pulled into Sand Creek this morning three minutes ahead of schedule.  I put out the sign and went up to the welcome center.  Obviously, I was the first one there, so I got out the Bob Cat and the gear, knowing Tim was most likely running late which would be par for the course.  Ten minutes later, I gave Tim a call.  No answer.  I gave Duane, the owner, a call.  He said he'd be right there.  Just as Duane pulled in, Tim called.  He was on a youth retreat with his kids from church and had no idea he was supposed to work.  So that left Duane and I and another wonderful day at Sand Creek.  

Let me just share two quick "shoot-the-dog's" from the day:
  1. Duane was going down the slide on platform three when BAM!  He realized he had forgotten to unhook his safety tether!  All I can say is that had to have hurt.  I helped pull him back up the slide, unhooked his tether, and sent him back down . . .
  2. Maybe it was just a bad day on platform three because our other incident happened there, too.  One of our guests (who knew no one else in the group) came out on to the platform as I was hooking up Ben.  "I'm sorry.  You can't be out here without a safety tether."  "I need to take a picture."  "I'm sorry.  You can't be out here without a safety tether."  "I work for the Star/Tribune and I am going to take a picture."  "Not without a safety tether . . . "  Arg!  You'll be glad to know I won the battle . . .
Otherwise, it was a lovely day.  Lots of zips.  Lots of sun.  Lots of fun people.  No tips, not even chocolate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment