Monday, January 22, 2018

If I could be . . .

Just one superhero at the Y, I would be . . .

(Insert picture of Mrs. Incredible - the computer won't let me!)

I have the most amazing swimming classes at the Y on Friday!  

My first class includes my crying best swimmer along with my crying worst swimmer and my "I don't need to hold on the to wall" child  and my "I'm going to try, but I can't do it" child.  What I wouldn't have given for those stretchy arms as I worked with them - hold one child on the wall, comfort a crying child, work with another child.  They would have been awesome!  Finish class.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.  

It's time for class number two.  It's a brother sister team and they make the previous class look easy.  I finally told the lifeguards who strategically moved right beside me - "If they let go of the wall, they sit on the wall."  I was even overheard telling one of the lifeguards, "Let her go under.  Maybe she will learn."  Finish class.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.

One class to go - only two students show up.  Smile.  Teach them their back crawl.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Go home.    

Come back on Saturday to teach CPR-PR to a class of just six - one with a job coach, two who knew what they were doing, two who had never had CPR before, two who's first language was not English.  I wanted those incredible arms!  Grab R. - "that's two breaths after thirty compressions".  M. - "did you breath twice?  You need to."  M. - "tilt the head back."  M. - "put your hands here when you do compressions."  I think one of the students said it best when she said, "_______ (we protect the guilty), if you ever try to save me at the Y, I'm going to come to and ask for someone else to help me out!"       

Breathe in.  Breathe out.  Go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment