Friday, July 23, 2021

Faoudou

 

 24-year-old Faoudou who suffered from a goiter since he was 5 years old. 
Faoudou before surgery

Faoudou went to school for several years, but eventually dropped out at a young age because of the constant bullying from his classmates. While his childhood held many difficult battles, it was made easier by his mother, who continued to stand by his side — hoping that he would one day receive the help he needed.

“My mother has been very worried about me my whole life,” Faoudou said. “She prays every day for me to get surgery.”

One day those prayers were answered. Faoudou met a woman in the market who told him of a floating hospital ship that offered life-changing surgeries. Faoudou rushed to the port city ​​​​​​in hopes of receiving the help he so desperately needed.

Once he met the Mercy Ships volunteer crew, Faoudou was soon scheduled for surgery that would change his life. Finally the day came, the goiter was removed and Faoudou was on his road to recovery. 
Faoudou after surgery

Faoudou now dreams of returning to school, despite the difficulties he would face going back as an adult. While the journey may be difficult, Faoudou is eager to meet those challenges in order to achieve his dream of becoming a doctor. 

"I see a lot of sick people here in my country. There are not enough doctors to help everyone,” Faoudou said. “I've always wished I could help. I want to learn how to care for people.”


No comments:

Post a Comment