Tuesday, January 28, 2020

No Whining!

We were short-staffed at swimming lessons last night, so I volunteered to teach for Bryn - two classes, I only had to get in the water for one.  I could handle it.  I was given Julie's classes because the other sub had already subbed for Bryn once and we all know how important consistency is with children!  I was okay with her first two classes, but her third class was adult women and I just wasn't up for it.  So I tried to get out of it.  Ana couldn't teach it for me, Caroline had soccer and Bobbi just laughed when I asked her.

Fifteen minutes into the class, no one had shown up yet.  Five more minutes and I could leave.  Then Sandra appeared.  Apologizing for being late.  She had just put in her first tampon.  (I hope no children are reading this.)  She has a fifteen year old.  We talked about tampons.  Are they really secure?  Could she actually swim with it in?

While we were talking, I noticed her accent and asked her where she was from.  Togo, West Africa.  Imagine the smile I got when I said I had been to Lome.  I mean, what white woman from the upper Midwest even knows where Lome is - let alone, has actually been there! 

Naturally, the story gets better.  Sandra is a nurse.  Three guesses who gave a plug for Mercy Ships to the French and English speaking nurse she was teaching how to swim! 

To think, I did my best to squelch God's plans for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment