Sunday, October 1, 2017

Only at Sand Creek . . .

You might have thought I was late for work yesterday when I pulled into Sand Creek following a school bus, but I was five minutes early and the kids from St. Olaf were thirty-five minutes early!  We had a great time with the TRIO group from St. Olaf.  They were encouraging, fun, and full of laughs!

We also had a new staff join us, Amy.  Emmi and I thought it would be great fun to take Amy touring on the zip lines when we were done as we both thought we were done at 12:30.  Little did we know that Friday morning, THIRTY additional people had signed up to come on Saturday!  We weren't both leaving . . .

We did get to tour - the guys were laughing at us.  Neither of us had worked platform two as a receiver, but Emmi said she'd give it a go.  I agreed to take on platform three.  Two went great - Emmi received both Amy and I.  I took off for three.  As I approached the platform, I knew something wasn't right.  I was slowing down too fast.  I barely made it to the brake block.  I was hanging there with my feet dangling in the air knowing that there was absolutely NO WAY I was going to walkie talkie the guys for help.  I assessed the situation and used one had to push the brake block back, then both hands to pull myself closer to the platform.  That process continued until my feet were finally able to touch the ground and I could walk up the platform - not more than twenty feet, but long enough to wipe me out!

We climbed back up the hill, Emmi went home to study (nursing major) and I stayed to work and train Amy.  Sand Creek was packed!  And they kept coming and coming and coming!  But you know what?  It's always fun there!  We had great people, great laughs and a great time!    

No comments:

Post a Comment