Friday, October 20, 2017

Thankful Thursday!

Some days the things we are thankful for are not what we would consider "good" things, but maybe "needed" things . . .

Yesterday, Micah and I went up to Northwestern University (St. Paul) for their "Fall Preview Days".  I was excited because we got a free lunch with the deal - I'm always in favor of not cooking and lunch was the first event on our schedule!  

We made our way up to the dining room and were told we could have one entree, one salad, one desert and one beverage - excellent!  Except Micah has peanut/tree nut allergies . . .

There were five possible entrees - one had peanut sauce, two were cooked in an area that contained peanuts, one they weren't sure about - Micah had plain noodles.  

We went to the salad bar and saw major cross-contamination of items that we knew contained nuts with items that should not have.  No salad for Micah . . .

The deserts were all cooked in an area that contained peanuts . . . cancel desert.

Wow!  It hit me hard - how am I going to send her to college AND keep her safe?  Some of my best memories in college happened in the cafeteria.  I met so many neat people and had so many great conversations.  I don't want her not to do that, nor do I want her to eat just plain noodles . . . 

So I am thankful for yesterday and now realize that her going off to college presents a whole new set of challenges because we can't pack her lunch every day . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment