Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Difference in Two . . .

I worked at Sand Creek yesterday from 9:30 a.m. - 6:45 p.m.  Today I want to share two different groups that I experienced . . .

Gretchen came in the morning with her sister and her sister's best friend.  Never have I ever met any one as polite as Gretchen at Sand Creek.  Hand her a harness - "thank you."  Hand her a helmet - "thank you."  Put on a tether - "thank you."  Take her picture - "thank you."  Gretchen was a delight.  Gretchen has Down syndrome.  Gretchen also had a blast!    

Our last group of the day needed to learn from Gretchen.  They were sixteen people from a wealthy western suburb.  Their language was foul.  Their interactions were crude.  With some exceptions, they were not a very pleasant group at all. 

Take for instance, the lady who tried to zip no handed after I had clearly explained to everyone that because we wore seat harnesses, you needed to hold on with at least one hand.  I turned from the launching pad to the group remaining and said, "We wear seat harnesses.  EVERYONE needs to hold on with one hand.  I have just dealt with two emergencies on the high ropes course and I have no desire to deal with a third because someone is not following the rules.  YOU MUST HOLD ON."

They now clearly understood what they needed to do and did it.  However, that did not stop the whining.  We had a couple from Green Bay who had lived through both rescues on the high ropes course, had had their first three zips and had three to go.  They had walked up the hill just I had finished launching ten of the sixteen.  I did not have enough of the right sized tethers for the remaining six, so I sent Green Bay off again.  And the whine began - "Why do they get to go?"  "They're not a part of our group."  "We should use be able to use their tethers."  "They should wait for us."

I took a deep breath and turned to the group of adult whiners and clearly stated my case:  "I am sorry.  We only have so many tethers of each size.  This couple has been here since 3 p.m.  They waited in the heat and humidity at the high ropes course while we performed two rescues.  They have paid for a six zip tour which they deserve to finish.  Their two tethers are NOT the ones I need for you to zip.  As soon as your size become available, I will send you . . ." (as I thought in my head, "because I can't wait for all of you entitled arrogant people to leave!")  

I know it was hot.  I know it was humid.  And I know that group needed Jesus.  But it sure was hard to be Jesus-with-skin-on for them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment