Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Testimony.

Part of our prep for serving in Ukraine this summer - and due tomorrow evening - is to write out our testimony, our personal story of how we came to know Jesus; practice it five times and then share it with a friend, asking them to honestly give feedback.

While outside yesterday afternoon, I saw neighbor Jill and asked if she was going to be home on this afternoon so I could run up and share my testimony with her.  Sadly, she had to work - but could I come up that night?  Then I could share it with both her and her husband, the one with the doctorate.  She went on to share that he gives speeches all the time for work, he's really good at them, and he would love to give me constructive criticism.  Awesome.  I was thrilled.  Not.

I walked up the hill at seven, handed my "testimony tip" sheet to Brian, the doctorate, and said, "Go head, critique me."  Jill sent the kids downstairs and we all sat down.  As I shared (and read!) my testimony, they were attentive.  When I got to the end, I shared my conclusion:

"In the many years that I have been given to serve my Jesus, these truths I know:
  • He is my only hope;
  • He is a faithful, Mighty God;
  • He always heals the heart, though the body may remain broken."
What happened next was a half hour conversation on that very last line.  You see, Brian is battling Stage Four cancer.  He has been prayed for by a group that believes if God does not heal you, you do not have enough faith.  Oh, the fallacy of that and the wounds they cause.  I am grateful for the opportunity to share the truth from God - that He always heals, it just may not be the body.  To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment