Sunday, May 7, 2017

Rescue Me!

 See the guy on the left?  That's my friend, Jake.  We've worked together at Sand Creek for three years now and yesterday was his first day back after his freshman year of college.  It was great to see him again and we were having a blast until that break right after lunch . . . 
. . . when we began to practice rescues off of Platform Two.  Lucky me!  I got to rescue Jake.  While that's not him hanging in the picture, that's about where he was located.  I went hand over hand off the platform to bring him back in, thinking all of those miles I put in swimming should have given me some upper body strength!   

Boy, was I ever wrong!  I started off great, and slowly began to fade.  Jake offered to help and I accepted - I was going backwards, he was going forwards.  We took three rest stops.  It was not pretty.

The course manager declared me an epic fail - he was right!  I might be able to rescue a child off of two, but an adult who weighs a good 50 pounds more than me?  Very doubtful!  Now I get why no one wants to work on two on a windy day!

Next stop - Platform Three.  I can only say that I wish I were taller.  Braking (stopping) people wasn't that bad, but I could not reach the line to send them off the platform without jumping up!  Fortunately, I only had to send ten people and the tall ones helped me out, but I think I'll try my best to stick with Platform One.

There I just have to be social and convince you it's your heart's desire to take that first step off!     

No comments:

Post a Comment