Monday, August 15, 2022

The Water Safety Aide Class

Once again, I'm teaching the water safety aide class for ISD 196 over at Black Hawk Middle School.  For the first time ever, we had three staff and eight students and a very interesting day.  

Student A:  I called three times this morning to see if she was coming to class or not.  It turns out that the phone number I had was for an aunt.  Auntie had no idea where Student A was, but she was sure she could attend at least a portion of one of the days.  Um, no. She needs to attend ALL.FOUR.DAYS - 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Down to seven students.

Student B:  Was three hours late to class.  His parent thought he could just stay after class and make up the time.  Um, no.  We are done at 3:30 p.m. and we don't stay late.  We have lives.  However, we do start work at 8:30 a.m. (our prep time) so he could come then to watch the videos and read the lectures he missed this morning.

If A and B weren't enough, wait until you read C . . .

Student C:  She had one mad mama today.  She came storming into the building after class, "What have you done to my daughter?  She's in the car in tears!"  I calmly explained to her mom that her daughter had refused to do anything that required her to put her face in the water - that would include three strokes, dives from the deck and dives in the water.  I offered to work with her daughter on the three strokes that did not require her to put her face in the water, and her daughter hid in the bathroom.  Mom's response:  "Well, if I knew my daughter had to get her face wet, I would have NEVER signed her up for the class!"    Hello!?!  She wants to teach small children how to swim without getting her face wet?  Knock, knock . . . anyone home? 

I think that makes six students and three staff.  I guess we'll know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment