Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Awkward!

It was another lovely day at Sand Creek yesterday.  The weather was perfect, the group absolutely the best!  We had the staff from a Spanish immersion elementary school and it was a hoot!  My group of nine came from seven different countries, all but one spoke both Spanish and English.  Everything was going great until we were at the high ropes course after lunch . . . 

I was helping one of the female staff tighten her harness and noticed that it appeared to have blood on it.  When she finished her element, I took her harness and realized my assumption was correct.  I explained the situation to our owner, Duane (who is married) and he told me to tuck the harness into the glove compartment of the Bobcat and he would deal with it later.

Unfortunately, later came sooner.  We took the group up for a zip at the end of the day.  I caught one of our new staff handing my lady a new harness.  At a cost of easily $50.00 a harness, I knew I had to intervene.  So I boldly went where no staff had gone before and asked her if she had her period.  Bingo!  As graciously as possible I told her what had happened to her previous harness and asked is she would be okay wearing it again.  She agreed.

I began launching the group and when I had finished she was there waiting for me, the harness neatly wrapped up in her hand and full of apologies.  What do you do?  Offer grace . . . just grace.  

It'd be awesome if the story ended there, but I work at Sand Creek.  It didn't!  I went into the welcome center and told Duane and Alan (our course manager) I had the harness and I needed a plastic bag.  Alan grabbed somebody's lunch from the fridge, dumped it out and said, "Here."  I put the harness in it and laid the bag down in a corner.  My buddy Trevor walked in right then and grabbed the bag and said, "What's in here?"  I said, "Don't look."  He opened it.  The look on his face was priceless.  He has two sisters and a mom!  it was all in a day's work . . .        

What next?  Trevor and I went zipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment