Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Weekend's Worth . . .

After working at either an outdoor pool or lake for one year in Iowa, three years in Colorado and four years in Minnesota, along with countless hours "working on my tan", I am pleased to say the dermatologist found only one possible sign of skin cancer Friday afternoon.  They took a biopsy and I'll get the results back this week.  She was fairly sure that if it was anything, it was basal cell carcinoma, the easiest to treat.  To God be the glory!  

Fast forward to Saturday where I had a full schedule at ISD 196.  I started off teaching CPR for the Lay Rescuer.  I had one hour to do it, but it was a new curriculum and the new curriculum did not fit in to the old time schedule.  So my hour became an hour and fifteen minutes which would have been fine, but I had a First Aid Class that should have started fifteen minutes earlier.  Since it was that new curriculum, we barely got started in First Aid and I had to teach CPR for the Professional Rescuer.  Fortunately, my First Aid class was also in my CPR-PR class, so off we ran!  We were almost done with the PR class (I had one lady still taking the written test) so we went back to First Aid.  I took time out to correct the PR test, finished First Aid and then taught Emergency Oxygen Administration.  And then I went home and collapsed - after cleaning all the manikins!

Later Saturday afternoon, Matt sent me a text from work.  A friend in Mankato had been in a car accident and was in the hospital.  Matt wanted to go see him.  Being good parents who knew the weather report, we had him come home and get a coat, hat and mittens as well as something to eat before he left.  Matt had no idea what kind of shape his friend was in.  The car he was in had been t-boned and he was sitting on the passenger side that got hit.  Not know what Matt would see, I wanted to make sure he was prepared for the worst.  He just looked at me and laughed.  "Mom, there was another emergency in the pool today.  The lifeguards didn't know what to do.  Instead of pushing the emergency button to call the front desk (where he was working), they used the walkie talkies to ask us to call 911.  I went back there, and the lifeguards didn't even know what to do.  It was a heat emergency.  I cracked a couple of ice packs and put them on the guy and waited for EMS to arrive."  Okay, Matt - drive safe!  And the good news - his friend will be fine - bruising and a concussion.      

No comments:

Post a Comment