Saturday, March 16, 2019

Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibilty

Those, my friends, are the four core values of the YMCA where I taught CPR this morning.

I was teaching an "American Safety and Health Institute Basic Life Support Class", along with "Administering Emergency Oxygen".  I left home a bit frustrated because I couldn't get in to the ASHI website to see who had completed the blended learning portion before class.

My supervisor, Barbara, wasn't able to access ASHI from the Y either so we only had a report from two days ago which meant anyone who showed up for class who did not sport a "complete" on our old roster would have to show "proof of completion".  

Five people had completed the course according to the old roster, one brought in proof, and two said they were having a hard time accessing the program.  No surprise - Barbara and I were, too!  However, they said they had completed it and just couldn't print the certificate.

What it boiled down to was this:  if those last two had truly completed it as they said, when the website came up again we would have proof of completion and their staying in class today would merit their BLS/02 cards.

If they were lying to us and did NOT complete the on-line portion of the class, they would have spent a lovely morning with me, but NOT get their cards. 

Barbara asked them to be honest and left the room.  They both followed her out.  

The best part of the story?  Somewhere around three this afternoon, I was finally able to access the ASHI website.  It turns out that one of them hadn't even opened the links or started watching the on-line portion!  Liar!  Liar!

I would say that was pretty irRESPONSIBLE and disRESPECTFUL and that she probably didn't CARE if she was HONEST.  Sad situation, eh?  

No comments:

Post a Comment