Sunday, March 25, 2018

Hope for Ernest

This post is reblogged from "Ainsworths in Africa" - another amazing story from the good ship Mercy!

Ernest’s eyes tell of a pain and sorrow beyond his years due to his tumor that has been growing for over a decade. At only 27 years old, Ernest has spent his prime hidden from the world, simply ‘waiting to die’: “I was making everyone uncomfortable” said Ernest, “so I would just stay home in bed all day, alone with my suicidal thoughts.”

Ernest, Maxillofacial patient, waiting in the tent during screening.
When news of Mercy Ships arrived in his village, Ernest believed he had nothing to lose. He left his wife and five year old son and made the two day journey alone, in an attempt to save his own life: “Many men from my village have tumors but they were too scared to come to the ship. They told me I would die”.
Ernest, Maxillofacial patient, being examined by Gary Parrish, Crew Physician. 

After the long journey, Ernest arrived at the ship dangerously ill with his tumor actively bleeding. Doctors aboard the Africa Mercy made the decision to admit him for a blood transfusion before the wards had even officially opened.

Ernest, Maxillofacial patient, walking up the gangway for the first time.
Soon the hospital began to fill with other patients who had made the brave journey to the ship. When well enough, Ernest himself received what 5 billion people around the world are unable to access – safe surgery. Following the operation, Ernest began his time on the wards recovering from his enclosed, saddened former self into a confident man no longer consumed by his own darkness. You could see the transformation in his eyes before you even knew his story.

Volunteer nurse, Kirsten Murphy (USA) monitored him on the empty wards the first night he was admitted: “I remember his persistence. I remember his new-found hope. I remember the huge grin that spread across his face post surgery when he realised he was handsome!”

CMA170908_ERNEST_PAT13210_FIRST_LOOK_MIRROR_ST002_LO


Now, when he returns home, Ernest will be able to be the man he’s always longed to be; the husband he feels his wife deserves; and the father he wants to model for his son: “Before, life was very difficult for me. I can’t wait to go back to my village and show those who doubted that Mercy Ships has given me new life.”

Ernest in the wards after having his tumor removed.

After more than 10 years of weight hanging from his face, Ernest’s burden has been lifted and he no longer carries the shame and embarrassment that once threatened his life.

CMA171207_ERNEST_PAT13210_AFTER_ST001_LO

“When I came here, my life was already over. Now I have everything in front of me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment