Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Same But Vastly Different

This post was reblogged from "Hope: The Anchor From My Soul" giving us a chance to see the OR from a nurse's point of view . . .


As I’ve written previously, I’ve been working in the OR for a little over 2 years.  It has been a wild ride learning the ins and outs of surgical nursing.  While the OR here is similar to the one I worked in before, there are distinct differences.  Since this is my first time with Mercy Ships, I’ve been learning how their operating rooms (or theatres as the Brits call it)… well… operate.  

I was understandably nervous on the first day of surgery.  Not many people know what happens behind our doors so I thought I would share what my typical day is like.  I’ll think you’ll discover, as I have, that it is anything but typical.
 
My day begins pretty early.  After doing some morning exercise (either running or the exercise class in the International Lounge), a shower, and daily devotions, I head to the Dining Room on Deck 4 for breakfast around 0700.  On Mondays, the whole ship has a meeting at 0730.  We celebrate new arrivals and say farewell to those departing.  All meetings have the potential to be boring, but we can’t help but be entertained when each one is themed.  This last Monday was Star Wars Monday and guess who wore the appropriate cap for the occasion!
IMG_2746

No matter what day it is, we have a team brief at 0800 in our assigned operating room.  We meet together (nurses, surgeons, and anesthetists), introduce ourselves, and discuss each of our patients for the day– what their specific needs are, supplies and equipment we’ll need, how their case might be challenging.  Back home, we didn’t have team briefs and now I’m a firm believer in them.  It has decreased the potential for miscommunication between team members and it is a casual reminder that each of our patients is a person with hopes and fears.  Before you think, “Well, duh!”, I can’t tell you how easy it can be to forget that there is a human being under those sterile drapes.  I love that we start the day talking about them and then praying for them as a team!

Tuesdays have become my favorite day in the OR for one reason– weekly devotions.  After our team briefs, everyone who works in the OR (from those who wield a scalpel to those who sterilize the instruments) gather and worship together.  After we sing, one of our team members shares a devotional– something that has been on their heart recently.  This last week, Sue, the team leader for Max Fax shared how she conversationally prays with the Lord and how God sees us.  I’m going to share in a future blog all that God has been teaching me.  He is speaking and I’m finally listening!

From there, the nurses in the room split into 3 different roles: Circulator, Scrub Nurse, and 2nd Circulator/Assist.  My routine for the day depends on what role I choose.
I haven’t had any of those days on the Africa Mercy.

Circulator:
When anesthesia says that their machines are ready, they give me the green light to bring my patient to the room.  The Africa Mercy has hired Day Crew who help with everything from cleaning to mechanical repairs to translating.  In the OR, we have been blessed with four Day Crew members who assist with translating and turnover (cleaning) of our rooms.  All of them served during Madagascar #1 and shared that their experience on board changed their lives for the better.
IMG_0391 (1)
The OR Day Crew is the best!! (From Left to Right: Yvette, Me, Elisa, Odon)

The majority of our patients speak primarily Malagasy.  They may speak French, but that isn’t always a guarantee.  I speak neither language so that’s why I couldn’t do my job without our fantastic translators.  They help us communicate our care when we can’t.
 
The circulator and a translator goes to the Ward on the other side of the ship and locate our patient. We conduct a pre-procedural questionnaire confirming their identity and surgery.  Once all the i’s are dotted and t’s crossed, I ask the patient if they’d like us to pray for them and if so, would they like the translator or myself to pray.  Surprisingly, most of the time they choose the nurse to pray for them. They don’t care if they can understand what is prayed– they just want prayer from someone who cares.
IMG_0394
The operating theatre hallway

We walk the patient to one of our 5 operating rooms and have them lay on the bed.  Almost all of our patients have never had surgery before.  This is a scary experience for them.  Back home I would have reassured them with my words, but I’ve had to develop my reassuring touch instead.  Once again, our translators are vital to our patients’ safety and comfort.

The circulating nurse assists anesthesia with sedating and intubating (putting a breathing tube in) the patient.  When the patient is asleep, we position and prep (paint solution on the surgical site) the patient for their procedure.  When the surgeons are gowned and gloved, we perform a time out confirming the patient and procedure again.  Another distinct departure is that some of the surgeons pray for the patient and the team before making incision.

During the procedure, the circulator charts, opens sterile supplies for the scrub nurse, and ensures all the equipment functions properly.  When the surgery is finished, we pull the drapes down and help anesthesia with waking up the patient and extubating (pulling out the breathing tube).  Do you know how confusing it can be when you wake up in a hotel room away from home?  Well, imagine what it is like for our patients!  Our translators help us calm our patients through some wild wake-ups!

We transfer the patient to a stretcher (or trolley) and transport them to the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) down the hall.  If they are a baby, we get to carry them to PACU–yes, please and thank you!
Once report has been given to the PACU nurse, we return to the room to help clean it in preparation for the next patient.  We repeat this process until all the scheduled cases for the day are complete.

Scrub Nurse:
After laying out my sterile gown and gloves, I go out to the hall to scrub my hands and arms up to the elbow.

The 5 minute scrub may seem tedious, but I’ve used the time to hum a worship song or pray silently for our patients.  There have been a few days where I can hear the Malagasy Day Crew singing worship songs to the patients on the Ward.

After gowning and gloving myself, I begin to set up my back table and mayo stand.  The last 2 weeks, I’ve been assigned to Max Fax.  At first I was afraid (in fact I was petrified) that I wouldn’t know the instruments because I’ve never scrubbed these cases before.  You may not know this, but there are hundreds of instruments and they all have specific uses and may have different names depending on the surgeon.  Although this is true here, I’ve been able to quickly learn which is which.
Is it a Senn or a Langenbeck or a cat’s paw? 

Yes.

While the circulator helps the patient on the bed, the second circulator counts everything with me. (We don’t want anything left behind in the patient.)  As soon as the patient is positioned and prepped, I begin to drape the patient so only the surgical field is visible.  We timeout, pray, and surgery begins. The surgeon asks for something and I pass it to him.  He uses it and hands it back.  He asks for something different and I pass it to him.  It sounds simple, but what the best scrub nurses learn is how to anticipate the surgeon’s needs and hand him the right instrument before he even has time to ask for it.

When the surgery is finishing, I count everything again with the second circulator and start cleaning up.  Once the patient is out of the room and on their way to PACU, I take the instruments to decontamination where they will be cleaned and sterilized. I repeat this process until all the cases for the day are finished.

The thing to keep in mind is that once you are scrubbed in, you are scrubbed for the rest of the surgery.  If a case goes through lunch time, I have the circulator set aside a food plate for me to eat later.

Second Circulator/Assist:
My first week here, I was in general surgery doing hernia repairs.  God was looking out for me because I am super comfortable in general cases– they are the type of surgeries that new OR nurses start with.  However, it was my first time fulfilling the Assist role- helping the surgeon retract (hold open the incision/cavity).  Someday, I hope to study to become a registered nurse first assist (RNFA) who helps the surgeon with performing the surgery.  This was my first small taste of it.

The last few weeks, we’ve been blessed to have two surgeons in each room so a nurse assist isn’t really needed.  The second circulator, however, assists everyone in the room.  I act as the second set of non-sterile, but clean hands.  While the circulator is focused on the patient, I can help the scrub nurse with drawing up medications and counting.

Monday through Friday, our shift is from 0800-1700.  If we are on call and cases are going past 5pm, we need to eat dinner early and take over for those not on call.  When I’m on call, I carry a pager until 0800 the next morning.  If any patient needs emergency surgery, I might be called in to work.  On the weekends, we are on call from 0800 to 0800 the next day (24 hours!)  But it really isn’t bad– I haven’t been called in yet.

At the end of the day, I make sure my room is set up for an emergency case and the supplies for the cases tomorrow are bagged up and ready.  If I’m free at 5pm, I can have dinner and free time until bedtime.  Which reminds me, as I write this, it is way past mine!  I better wrap this up and get some zzzzzz’s for tomorrow.

Stop!  Prayer Request Time!
  • Healing (both physically and psychologically) for our patients.  Many of our patients are here for face deforming tumors.  They are learning to see themselves with a new face after surgery.  Pray that they would have continued hope for their futures and to realize that there is a God who loves them no matter how they look.
  • It’s a holiday weekend so most of the crew is going to be traveling in the city and throughout Madagascar- pray for safe travels and good health- no bed bugs, malaria, rabies, or sand fleas!
  • God has been sharing some amazing insights with me– I hope to share some of them with you all soon.  Pray that I will know and follow what He wants me to do in the future.
Photo Credit Katie Keegan - Hospital Crew in front of the AF<
Photo Credit Katie Keegan – Hospital Crew in front of the AFM

No comments:

Post a Comment