Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Amazing Prayer

Today's post is reblogged from "Hope: the Anchor for My Soul" by one of the Africa Mercy nurses. . .


Apart from including God in our plans and work, we can do nothing.  Prayer has been the fuel for everything that we do.

I’ve quickly come to realize that prayer is one of the most powerful and personal things we can do as Christians.
“Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.”
– 2 Chronicles 7:14 (NLT)
I didn’t always believe this– let alone live this.  It seems ridiculous now.  I mean, who travels halfway around the world to serve God, but doesn’t realize that God answers prayer?  However, as I mentioned in my story, I’ve been working out my faith and returning to the path God has laid out for me.

Here, prayer is not just a good thing to do, it is a necessity.  It has become compulsory for everything we do.

We’re beginning a new day of surgeries– we pray.
There is an engineering issue– we pray.
We’re facing a new challenge– we pray.
We’re discussing possible solutions– we pray.
We’re spending time together laughing and learning– we pray.
Prayer is answered– we thank God and pray some more.

What once would have been, “How am I going to accomplish this?” has become, “Let’s ask God and see how He’s going to do this.”

I’ve had the privilege of working with Dr. Gary Parker, Max Fax surgeon and CMO of Mercy Ships.  One of the things that has impressed me so much about him and many of the long term crew members is their humility.  It isn’t about what an individual has accomplished or Mercy Ships has done.  It is about what God is already doing.  Surgeons from around the world have asked him, “How are you able to perform these surgeries so successfully and without greater complications than we see in developed countries?”

In my prior experience, most doctors (and especially surgeons) have a god complex.  And it is difficult not to develop one when it seems that you have patients’ lives in your hands.  Even for me, I began to believe that if I did all the right things a nurse should do and controlled all the circumstances, my patients would do better.

That is why Dr. Gary’s response surprised me.  He has said that it is only by God’s power that these patients do so well.  God asks us to use our talents and skills for Him and He is the one who does the healing.  If we try to do it by our own power, it will fail.

Here’s just one example of how this belief is lived out on board:
Someone told me that there have been times when a ship-wide announcement was made during a complicated surgery.  These announcements aren’t calling for further reinforcements to the OR, but it is a call to prayer for the patient who may not be doing well.

The truth that many health care workers, including myself, don’t want to face is, with all of our years of education and experience, we are faulty and we aren’t in complete control.  I could do all the right things and still everything could hit the fan.

Prayer is the acknowledgement that I don’t have anything under control and God has everything under control.  And here’s the kicker– God knows each and every one of our needs and He cares about them!

“Ok, He already knows.  So why do I have to pray if He knows what I’m going to ask?”  Well, think about this… what gift would you appreciate more?  A gift given by a complete stranger or your best friend?  I’m more likely to question the motives behind a stranger’s generosity.  “What do they really want from me?  Are they just trying to buy my loyalty or devotion?”  But when it is a friend, I know that their gift is given out of love– no ulterior motives. And they probably gave me a gift that I actually want because they know me well.  It might be a gift that I didn’t even know I wanted.
“So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.”
– Matthew 7:11 (NLT)
It’s even more so with God.  I’m finding that life isn’t about our destination, but our journey.  If God gave me everything I ask for the instant I asked for it, I KNOW that I wouldn’t appreciate it as much.  But when a long awaited gift arrives to me by surprise (not to His because His timing is perfect), it is the most precious thing in the world.  I can look back on my life and see how He brought me to the precise moment when I was finally ready for the perfect gift.  And sometimes the perfect gift isn’t what I originally wanted or requested, but it is exactly what I needed.

But how can I trust that He has my best interests at heart when I don’t know Him?  That is where prayer comes in.  God already knows me totally and intimately.  Prayer is the place where you open your mind and heart to what God has to say and share. In this way, we become closer to Him.  I’ve discovered that a relationship with God is greater than any gift He could give us.

Just think about this: The God of the universe wants a personal, on-going conversation with you and me– where we share our hopes, dreams, fears, worries, struggles, concerns, needs, wants, and celebrations.

My second weekend here, we held a prayer meeting at the HOPE (Hospital Out-Patient Extension) Center.
IMG_0378

There is limited space on the ship for patients to stay long term.  The HOPE Center is a place where our patients, who travel to Tamatave from all over Madagascar, can live and recover for as long as they need.  It is also the location for our obstetric fistula (OBF) clinic and dental clinic.  Once they are fully recovered, Mercy Ships assists patients with transportation back to their homes.

For returning crew members, this prayer meeting was a celebration.  Last field service, Mercy Ships had begun renovations to a wing of the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toamasina (CHUT)– the local hospital here.  With the renovations finally complete, we were able to tour the building and see where our patients will be staying before and after surgery.

BeforeAfter
(Photo Credit: Mercy Ships)
BeforeAfter2
(Photo Credit: Mercy Ships)
IMG_0379

The HOPE center has over 200 beds available– more than any other HOPE center in Mercy Ships’ history.  This means that we are able to perform more surgeries without overwhelming the Ward on board the ship.  We spent time together praying for all the capacity building projects as well as the HOPE center and all of its staff, day crew, and patients.

IMG_0380

God has already done amazing things here in Tamatave.  Some of them small glimpses of heaven on earth; some large, completely unbelievable miracles.  And there are greater things still be done– many of which I won’t be able to witness while I’m here.  However, I have the privilege of being a “seed planter”– of being faithful in my work and committed to prayer in this temporary world so there will be an eternal impact in the future.

IMG_0381

Someday, flowers will grow here…
“Take My Hand– We’ll Make It With Prayer!”

No comments:

Post a Comment