Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Say, what?!?

Last Thursday, I did an e-visit with my internist regarding my polymyalgia rhuematica.  I should have gotten a response back in twenty-four hours.

On Monday, I took my last 10 mg Prednisone pill and called the clinic.  After thirty-four minutes on hold (don't worry, I emptied the dishwasher and cleaned the kitchen!), I finally got to a nurse who was going to "high priority" my information to my doctor.

Monday afternoon, I got message to call the clinic back.  Unfortunately, my cell phone is on the fritz and our home phone was being used by Sam and being used by Sam and still being used by Sam.  Finally at 7:10 p.m., I got a nurse.  

She said my prescription was filled and waiting for me.  I was to take 20-25 mg of Prednisone a day . . . "Wait!  That's doubling my dose, not decreasing my dose!"  She encouraged me to pick up my meds and call my doctor in the morning.

I was out biking Tuesday morning when the clinic called me.  When I called them back, the receptionist told me that my medication had been ordered and was ready to pick up and was ready to hang up.  "Oh, no.  I picked up my prescription.  My dose was doubled.  I need to talk to a nurse."  

I got forwarded to a nurse who said, "I'm so glad you called.  Your doctor left a message.  He realized that the wrong dose was put on your prescription.  This is what you need to be taking."

Okay, great.  That sounds a whole lot better, but . . . You want me to take 12.5 mg of prednisone using 10 mg tablets?  So not happening in my book!  Cutting a 10 mg into four equal pieces?  Nope!  So I asked for 1 mg tablets.  Once again the message went back to my doctor "high priority".  

Just before supper, Sam and I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up my prescription.  It wasn't ready.  There was some confusion on why I needed 1 mg tablets.

I knew I could clear that up fast!  "I picked up my 10 mg tablets last night.  The doctor want me on 12.5 mg.  I refuse to even attempt to cut up the 10 mg tablets into four equal pieces.  That's why I'm getting the 1 mg tablets."

Problem solved.  Meds filled.    

No comments:

Post a Comment