Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Enemy

Almost nineteen years ago, I met the enemy for the first time.  New LIfe Family Services provided a social worker for the adoptive family and a social worker for the birth mother so that there would be no conflict of interest during the adoption process.  She was our birth mother's social worker.  And not once, but twice, she told Allison to take Matt back and to try parenting, to make sure that she did want to give him up for adoption.  And that made her the enemy because that was without a doubt the most stressful time of my life.


Fast forward to last Saturday at New Life's Walk/Run for Life.  I heard a voice saying, "Are you Margo?  Do you remember me?  I was Allison's social worker!"  THE ENEMY!  Only I had changed over the years and I had Matt and somewhere in there, she had ceased to be  "the enemy".  And, by the end of the walk, she had definitely become a friend!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment