Thursday, March 28, 2013

Go, God!

Was is just forty-eight hours ago we were praying for four noma patients on the good ship Mercy?  And already, God has faithfully answered our prayers.  Here's what Ali posted today . . .

First, thank you all so much for praying for our four noma patients. I shared your responses with the nurses on the wards who shared them with the patients, much to everyone's encouragement.

This afternoon, Zoe and I were taking out our trash. As is our custom, we stopped by the tent that serves as the outpatient waiting area on our way back to the ship to see if we knew anyone.  We'd been there a little while when I heard someone greet me. Hearing the quiet bonjour, I looked up and saw one of the patients you prayed for, Alpha. It took me a moment to recognize him, since I've never seen him out of a hospital gown. I've also never heard his voice, since he had a tracheostomy while I was down in D Ward. But there he was, dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, greeting me with a twinkle in his eyes.

At my look of surprise, he smiled as well as he could with his new lips, gesturing towards town to tell me that he's staying at the HOPE Center now. I handed Zoe to him, and they sat together for a while in the heat of the afternoon. She rested quietly in his lap as he carefully wiped her drool with her bib and then his own on the blue cloth he carried while the two of them just stared at each other in wonder.

God is on the move; our patients are getting well.

No comments:

Post a Comment