Monday, February 8, 2016

Jimmy

Jimmy's story has been reblogged from "Girl. Nurse. Ship. Africa. Dream come true."  It is by far one of the saddest stories I have ever read.  I can only thank God that Jimmy found a ship called Mercy.

I met Jimmy last Monday. He’s 28 years old and was being admitted to have his right leg amputated. We’ve had a few patients who’ve had to have amputations and I’ve always wished we could do more for them, thinking that amputation is the worst, best solution. But when I talked with Jimmy, I realized, that this was his only option. And he was ok with it. Even excited.

Here’s why…

I came back from my lunch break and was told that Jimmy had arrived to the isolation room. I walked into the small room with a translator and said, “Tongasoa!” in my best Malagasy accent, which means “Welcome!” . His eyes were bright and his smile put one on my face as well. I looked at him and told him how happy I was that he’d come. I tried not to let my eyes drift down to his wrapped right leg and his bandaged left, or to the dirty, unmatched crutches that were propped on his bed next to him. I tried not to grimace at the smell that had so quickly filled the small room. The smell of rotting flesh. I gave him instructions about how he would need to remove all of the bandages, bathe, put a gown on, and then I would re-wrap both of his legs in preparation for his surgery. He asked me several times, “So I need to take the bandages off?”, “Are you sure you want me to take them off?”. I knew that he was embarrassed by the severity of his wounds, that he wanted to protect me from seeing what lie beneath the dirty bandages. I reassured him and told him as soon as he was finished bathing I would be there to cover the wounds again.

I was called back into the room by my translator when Jimmy was finished. I prepared myself for what I’d briefly seen in his pre-operative photo, but seeing it in person was different. I walked  in the room, and my breath caught in my throat at the site of his grossly infected right leg. The wound started mid-way down his calf and extended to the tips of his toes. Both bones of the lower leg were exposed and the wound had warped and twisted his foot into a gnarly shape. There was raw flesh, dead tissue, and a smell that would knock you over. All I could think was, “How is this boy not dead from sepsis?”, “How on EARTH did this get so bad?” I did all that I could to keep my composure, wanting Jimmy to know that it didn’t bother me. I gently wrapped up his leg with several rolls of Kerlix and then put a plastic bag over it and taped it just above the wound, where they would make the amputation. The left leg was no where near as bad, compared to the right, but bad enough that it would need to be debrided of dead tissue and a wound vac placed, to aid in healing so a skin graft could later be placed. I wrapped that one as well, then sat at a chair next to his bed, prepared to start his IV, and asked him his story.

Through animated facial expressions and hand gestures Jimmy’s story unraveled. For as long as he could remember, he’d been un-liked by his step mother. When he was 12 years old he got into an argument with her about something trivial. She grabbed him and held him over the cooking fire that they’d had burning in their home. Unable to hold him there on her own due to his attempts at freeing himself, his father stepped in and helped. And there they held his legs in the fire until they were burned. His burns never healed, they got infected, and have been for the past 13 years.

For 13 years, over HALF of his life, he’s been in pain. The kind of pain that happens when you have a burn that goes as deep as your bones. The kind of pain you have when a wound gets infected to the point of never healing. The kind of pain your heart endures when you yourself can’t bear the smell that is coming from your own body and know that others can’t either. The kind of pain you have when you’re homeless and spend your nights alone outside Bazaar Be, the local market..

I went to see Jimmy the day after his surgery and as soon as I walked in the door he gave me the biggest smile. I walked to his bed seeing the stump that was now his right leg, and reached for his hand. “Tsara Be?” (Is it good?) I asked.  And he replied, with the biggest smile on his face, “Faly Be! Faly, Faly, Faly, Faly!” (I’m so happy! Happy, happy, happy, happy!). He told me through a translator that he finally has no pain. That for  the first time in 13 years he doesn’t feel pain from those gruesome burns, from that moment his family betrayed him and held him over a fire. My eyes filled with tears seeing the relief that he held, seeing the absolute joy that embodied him.

Jimmy will leave here with a new life. He’ll be fitted with a prosthetic and taught how to use it. His left leg will heal with time and a fresh skin graft will cover the old open wound that once plagued him. He’ll leave here with the new Bible that he’s already making his way through. He told me he tries to read it every day. I looked in his eyes and told him, “So good, keep reading it.. It’s so good for your heart”.
 
I am in awe of how the Lord has brought hope back in to this man’s life; and in further awe that He has allowed me to be a part of that story. I pray that Jimmy will go on to “live a life worthy of the calling he has received” (Eph 4:1). That he will never forget the Lord’s redemption in his life. That he would give all credit to his Father. Not the one who helped scald his legs, but the One who has been in his every moment. The One who held him each night as he slept alone at Bazaar Be, the One who helped him endure the unimaginable pain, and the One who now brought him hope and a new life. The Father who IS hope.
“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure” Hebrews 6:19

No comments:

Post a Comment