Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Only at the Y . . .

Will I ever be famous!  Follow my story . . .

A week ago Monday, the Y began what they are calling "Try the Y Healthy Living Challenge" (formerly known as the "Lazy Man's Triathalon").  The first 300 participants received free registration and with that a free t-shirt!  I was registrant number 163 - thanks to my co-worker, Tamara, who convinced me that I wanted nothing more in life than to swim 2.5 miles, run/walk 26.2 miles and bike 112 miles over the course of the next six weeks.  With that also came a promise to bike with me every Tuesday after work - we could do it!  And, plus, we'd get a FREE t-shirt!

Fast forward to today.  Tamara convinced another of our aquatic staff, Barbara, to bike with us.  We're upstairs on three recumbant bikes talking and laughing and pedaling,too, when Sarah comes over to ask if she could take our picture for the Y's facebook page.  "Of course," we said.  We'd look quite lovely with our pool heads and glowing bodies.  Then she said, "Can I take individual pictures and put you on our staff board (that EVERYONE who walks into the building will see)?"  Naturally, it was our moment to shine!  Dripping with sweat, wearing stained and mismatched workout clothes with the ever lovely pool heads - we will be featured on the staff board!  I can't imagine how flattering we'll look!

But you know - the best part of the story is God's grace.  Barbara broke her knee when she was 14 and knows that someday she will need to have surgery to remove the bone fragment that kept bothering her as she biked.  My ankle was operated on last November and it had no problem biking.  Tamara had hip surgery in June.  The run/walk part is hard for her, but she enjoys the biking.  So I was able to spend a morning with two co-workers biking and laughing - to God be the glory (no matter how bad the pictures look!).

No comments:

Post a Comment