Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Saga of the Right Ankle Continues . . .

Some of you may remember that on October 7, 2011, I sprained my right ankle.  After ten days in an air cast, I was pronounced well and ready to run.  Fast forward to April 2012 when my ankle went bonkers again.  This time, I wore a brace and went through a month of physical therapy.  In May, I was again pronounced well and on June 3, I ran to Ghana with my friend, Tiffany.  Somewhere between then and August, my ankle went out again and I saw my doctor at Twin Cities Orthopedic on August 28.  He order an MRI and on August 31, I found out I had a tear in my peroneus brevis muscle (under the outside of my right ankle) and I was put in a cam boot for thirty-three days!  I began to wean myself off of the cam boot on October 2, but by October 19 when I saw the good doctor again, I knew things were just not right.  Sure enough, he said it was time to stop the conservative measures and look at surgery.  He gave me the names of two surgeons, one in his office and one he had went to college with.

I called his co-worker first and he was booked out until January 2013 - wait!  He did have an opening in December - would I like it?  Sure, why not!  So I called the colleague from college - who had one opening last week and it just happened to be on my day off - Wednesday!

The colleague agreed that it was time for surgery and gave me his game plan - four weeks in a cam boot with my leg elevated, followed by another four weeks in a cam boot while my ankle continued to heal.  He had one opening day for surgery - November 14 - or I would have to wait until after the holidays.  His nurse would let me know.

I got home to a phone call from Twin Cities Orthopedics - the co-worker had an opening the following day - would I like it?  Yes!  The colleague was fine, but I wasn't excited and I wanted to see the co-worker.  And I did - on Thursday!  Wow!  Talk about a difference - I was shown my torn peroneus brevis muscle.  I was told that my ankle was weak - he showed me how each of my ankles responded to pressure and movement - which meant he would also do surgery on my ligament which had been stretched like taffy.  He had me off my ankle for 24-72 hours, then I would have a weight bearing cast, although he didn't recommend me doing too much of anything while I was in the cast for the next six weeks.  I liked him, I liked his explanations when I questioned him about what the other doctor had said, and I scheduled surgery for November 19.  I don't know what time yet, but I do know Sam and the kids will be home to take care of me the first week (except the 20th) and maybe by Christmas, or at least by the first of the year, I'll have my cast off!  

And then . . . maybe some day, I can run again!     

No comments:

Post a Comment