Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Keep Praying, Trinity!

Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to share Mercy Ships three times at church.  One of the stories I shared was about a 38 year old former Guinean National soccer player who is currently on the ward waiting for his quite larger tumor to be removed.  I asked those that were there to pray for him and found this (stole this?) on a nurse's blog . . . God is faithfully answering our prayers!

As a nurse you often have a special place in your heart for certain patients. Here actually it is most of them, but there are always some that really get to you. We have one particular patient on our ward at the moment who everyone is rallying behind and is much loved by all. He has a large tumour on one side of his face, and came to us a couple of weeks ago malnourished, unable to eat, barely managing to take some liquids and visibly weak on his feet. Initially we were unsure as to whether he could have surgery or not but after some tests and discussions with him we are ‘building him up’ for surgery hopefully next week. Slowly slowly he is putting on some weight and is now walking the four flights of stairs from deck 3 to deck 7 when we take the patients outside once a day. He has established a workout routine and the last 2 evenings has had me taking him for exercises down the corridor doing various squats and step-aerobics on the stairs. We sat down afterwards (so I could recover, he was doing fine) and he just held my hand as I talked in my poor French about his surgery next week. I asked him if he was afraid and he immediately shook his head no. He has such hope. I will be praying, praying, praying that he gets through this ok. It will be a complicated surgery because of his physical state to begin with but also because of the size and location of the tumour. There will be many of us waiting that day to see how he gets on.

No comments:

Post a Comment