Thursday, June 30, 2016

Thankful Thursday - TWO FER!

Today's FIRST "Thankful Thursday" actually began on Saturday while Micah and I were volunteering at New Life Family Services "Walk for Life".  While manning the food station, we met a young woman, E., who had come to the walk with a group from Teen Challenge.  What caught my eye was that she had gone to the hair painting station and gotten every section of her French braid spray painted a different color.  It was absolutely lovely and I told her so.

After the race she stopped back to ask me some questions about New Life and if they had anything for women who had had abortions because she had "this friend" who had had an abortion.  I knew New Life had a program, but I didn't remember the name as I'm an adoptive parent, but I encouraged her to ask any staff member (wearing the black t-shirts marked "STAFF") and they would be able to help her.

Not one to miss an opportunity, after E. left, I went over and asked a staff member the name.  The program for post-abortion survivors is called "Conquerors."  Now I knew . . . 

And on my way to the bathroom, who should be standing in front of me, but E..  I was able to share "Conquerors" with her and she shared with me that she was the one who had had the abortion, not a friend, and how hard it still was twenty years later.  I, in turn, shared with her that while I had never had an abortion, we had turned down a baby before Matt, and I knew the feeling of being between a rock and a hard place with no idea of where to go.  Fortunately, Sam and I had had godly counsel available to us to help us make our decision.  And our consequences, while different, didn't lesson the pain of losing a child.  E. hadn't had godly council available to her, nor had she known Jesus then and she was still in pain.  

With wonderment, because she hadn't been condemned by "the godly', she told me she was at Teen Challenge.  She was there for 14 months.  She had been doing drugs.  And she needed a sponsor.  Would I be willing?  

I tell you what - I saw no flashing lights saying, "NO! NO! NO!"  I heard no voice from heaven saying, "NO! NO! NO!".  And when I got home and talked to Sam, he said, "Did you know they are looking for math (his background) tutors, too?  Maybe we could go together."   

So I filled out my application, heard I got an excellent reference from a good friend, and now I wait patiently - THANKFUL that I was there when E. needed me, and I was able to offer grace and acceptance and maybe even more in the future.  Stay tuned . . .

THANKFUL THURSDAY NUMBER TWO:  Happened yesterday when I was able to take Rachel - of Night Watch fame! - to the airport!  I worked until 4:00, picked her up and got her to the airport by 5:00, with the most glorious conversation on the ride!  I thank God for the honor and privilege of being her Sand Creek Mom (see Tuesday's post).  I also thank God that He nudged me and yesterday morning, I MADE all the guys at work sign a farewell card for her!  And I'm thankful for the boss who slipped a $20.00 bill in the card before I sealed it - because what college student couldn't use an additional $20.00 on her way to India!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment